Yes, that sounds like the stuff. It reminds me of breeze blocks!

David

-----Original Message-----
From: mining-history [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bernard Moore
Sent: 21 September 2011 19:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tuffa mines

Dear Dave,

Or, what I have know as Calc Tufa? - from certain books.

If this be the case, I know of an interesting quite sizable surface deposit
 that I discovered by chance in the Alston area in the latter part of the
1970's.  It is a place that can only be found by chance. The large fossilised
worm  channels were interesting, some being 3/4 of an inch dia., with
miniature 'cave  systems' and 'caverns' amongst it all. After I found it, I spent
three days  looking around the area, and, to my knowledge it is unique
since I found nothing  anywhere else like it - indeed, in fact, anywhere.

Regards, Bernard