From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of [log in to unmask] [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 28 September 2011 18:02
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] blessing of  wells

Dear Meg

There is a story in the Life of St. Moninna by Conchubranus where she exorcises a devil who has attached himself to St. Kevin.  After this, she uses her staff to make a stream run uphill and form a pool of hot water where she gives Kevin a bath, presumably to purify him for reentry into the monastic community after having been corrupted by the devil who had incited him to attack Moninna and her nuns. We are told that, thereafter, the pool is known as St. Kevin's bath.  This pool is hot so it's probably for healing and not for drinking, but it's an interesting story.

Diane