From: Madeleine Gray <[log in to unmask]>

> Health & fitness - she'll love that!

as well she should.

receiving that kind of Validation of one's Career is a goal toward which every
young person should strive.

i, myself, have no greater wish than to find, when i grow up, that one (or
more!) of my own books has risen to the prestidigetatious level of being
classified by the googleistical bibliophileiacs in their esteamed "Health &
Fitness" section, so that it (/they) might be made available (hopefully in a
"snippet view") to any Moron on the planet with access to The Innernets.

culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Christopher
Crockett
> Sent: 28 September 2011 14:20
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [M-R] Feasts and Saints of the Day: Sep 26

> From: Madeleine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
>
> > I think Miranda Aldhouse-Green also mentions the practice in Pilgrims in
> Stone, her study of fonts Sequanae (a Gallo-Roman shrine which was
> Christianised by the C6).
>
> from Worldcat.org:
>
> Miranda J. [Aldhouse-]Green, et al.
> Pilgrims in stone: stone images from the Gallo-Roman sanctuary of Fontes
> Sequanae
>
> Oxford: Archaeopress, 1999.
>
> BAR international series, 754.
> 172pp.
>
> "available" in one of those wretched "snippet views" from the
Googlementarians

http://books.google.com/books?id=Q_MhAQAAIAAJ&q=intitle:Pilgrims+intitle:in+intitle:stone+intitle:stone+intitle:images&dq=intitle:Pilgrims+intitle:in+intitle:stone+intitle:stone+intitle:images&hl=en&ei=yByDTqaeDcjz0gHyqpB6&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAA

> with a publisher's blurb:
>
> The site at Fontes Sequanae, near Dijon in Burgundy, is notable for its
rich
> imagery in wood and stone, and its small votive offerings in bronze. This
book
> is a study of stone pilgrim imagery from the Gallo-Roman shrine to
Sequanae,
> set in the wider context of a large number of curative cult-sites in Roman
> Gaul. The author looks at the religious and social significance of this
type
> of iconography and of the sanctuaries in general.
>
> "search inside" for "incubation" yields one hit (p. 72):
>
> "The focal point of the [Ancient] pilgrim's visit was the nocturnal
> 'incubation,' in which the supplicant slept in a special dormitory or
> _abaton_, in the expectation of a visitation from Asklepios, who would
appear
> in a vision or dream to dispense medicine, advice or carry out surgery."
>
> "Your search - chartres - did not match any documents."
>
> shows how much she knows.

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

> to: [log in to unmask]