medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Dear Colleagues:

This is a CFP of a different sort.  the digital medievalist is sponsoring a workshop at Kalamazoo 2012 that will introduce the basic topics and methods of digital humanities for medieval studies.  This "call" asks for two things:

1.  What kind of topics would medievalists like to see at this session?  We will only have 90 minutes, so it won't be possible to cover everyting.  However, if there is a consensus on (or just a large demand for) a given topic or topics, I want to make sure this workshop covers them.  Possible topics could be: "what is text encoding and why should I like it?" "How to talk to software developers nicely to get them to do what I need." "Why should I have to know about databases?"  "Should I learn the basics of a programming language and how would I go about doing that?  So if there is something you've always wanted to ask about doing digital work, or if there is certain things you as an established DHer think every digital medievalist should now, please send me your ideas.  I am happy to credit the source(s) of all ideas.

2.  Are there any brave volunteers who would like to facilitate this kind of workshop?  Are there any of you who have already done this type of workshop and would like to take your show on the road?  If so, send me your contact details, and a very brief description of your instructional experience by 15 September (or so).

Regards
Jim

--
James R. Ginther, PhD

"Blessed are the Geeks for they shall encode the Earth"

"...debet esse oratio devota, ne mens sit in foro dum os psallit in choro." - Robert Grosseteste

"Walking on water and developing software from a specification are easy if both are frozen." -Edward V. Berard