On 09/12/11, Terri Morgan sent:

> John Chrysostom (d. 407)...

>    John has a distinctive portrait tradition (large head, hollow cheeks, wispy beard) deriving from a medieval description in the menaia that could well preserve historical truth. Some medieval portraits of John from a late ninth- or tenth-century mosaic, north tympanon, Hagia Sophia, Istanbul:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/wrpjd and http://tinyurl.com/45ppdp

In addition to those two different views of the same mosaic portrait in Hagia Sophia, herewith some other portrayals of J.:

a)  at right on a tenth-century ivory plaque now in the Walters Art Museum, Baltimore:
http://tinyurl.com/3vsqp2o
b)  an earlier eleventh-century mosaic (restored between 1953 and 1962) in the katholikon of the monastery of Hosios Loukas near Distomo in Phokis:
http://tinyurl.com/2u6j9dv
c)  an earlier eleventh- or mid-eleventh-century image in soapstone, now in the Louvre:
http://tinyurl.com/3qlnea
d)  a mid-eleventh-century mosaic, cathedral of St. Sophia, Kyiv/Kiev:
http://artclassic.edu.ru/attach.asp?a_no=11369
e)  in a ms. illumination in an eleventh-century Greek-language New Testament with commentary (Paris, BnF, ms. Coislin 224, fol. 25v):
http://tinyurl.com/3dtxvbk
f)  at left (with Sts. Nicholas of Myra and Ignatius of Antioch) in the early twelfth-century frescoes (1105/1106) in the bema of the church of the Panagia Phorbiotissa at Asinou (Nicosia prefecture) in the Republic of Cyprus:
http://tinyurl.com/29yowfm
g)  at right (at left, Jacob of Coccinobaphi) in a ms. illumination in an earlier twelfth-century copy of Jacob of Coccinobaphi, _Orationes encomiasticae in SS. Virginem Deiparam_ (Paris, BnF, ms. Grec 1208, fol. 1v):
http://tinyurl.com/6djnoac
h)  in the later twelfth-century frescoes (ca. 1164) in the church of St. Panteleimon (Pantaleon) at Nerezi Lartëm (Skopje municipality) in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia:
http://tinyurl.com/3dx9anp
Detail view:
http://tinyurl.com/3zw7dtd
i)  at right  (at left, St. Basil the Great) in the later twelfth-century mosaics of the Cappella Palatina in Palermo:
http://tinyurl.com/yg6r852
j)  an early fourteenth-century fresco (1208 or 1209), repainted in 1569, in the church of the Presentation of the Theotokos in the Studenica monastery near Kraljevo (Raška dist.) in Serbia:
http://tinyurl.com/33p5hub
k)  a thirteenth-century ms. illumination (Moscow, Historical Museum, Ms. 604):
http://www.eikastikon.gr/afieromata/agios_ioannis_chris/8.jpg
l)  a later thirteenth-century fresco (ca. 1263-1270) in the altar area of the church of the Holy Trinity at the Sopoćani monastery at Sopoćani (Raška dist.) in Serbia:
http://tinyurl.com/36fytfr
m)  an early fourteenth-century fresco (1313 or 1314) in the altar area of the King's Church in the Studenica monastery near Kraljevo (Raška dist.) in Serbia:
http://tinyurl.com/y9g6qhf
n)  an earlier fourteenth-century portable mosaic icon (ca. 1325) from Constantinople, now at Dumbarton Oaks in Washington, DC:
http://www.thecityreview.com/byzant1.jpg
o)  an earlier fourteenth-century fresco (1330s) in the altar area of the church of the Hodegetria  in the Patriarchate of Peć at Peć in, depending on one's view of the matter, either the Republic of Kosovo or Serbia's province of Kosovo and Metohija:
http://tinyurl.com/ydb9okc
p)  at right of center in an earlier fourteenth-century November calendar fresco (betw. 1335 and 1350) in the narthex of the church of the Holy Ascension at the Visoki Dečani monastery near Peć in, depending on one's view of the matter, either the Republic of Kosovo or Serbia's province of Kosovo and Metohija:
http://tinyurl.com/39vcqhp
q)  a later fourteenth-century icon of J., Annunciation cathedral of the Kremlin, Moscow:
http://www.icon-art.info/hires.php?lng=en&type=1&id=826
r)  an early fifteenth-century fresco on the Deesis range (ca. 1408), by Daniil Chernyi and Andrei Rublev, of the Dormition cathedral in Vladimir:
http://www.tanais.info/rublev/rublev38.jpg
s)  an early fifteenth-century icon (J. second from right), State Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow:
http://tinyurl.com/yh85g92
t)  a fifteenth-century icon, National Museum of History, Sofia:
http://tinyurl.com/2u72rwa
u)  a very early sixteenth-century fresco (1502) by Dionisy and sons in the Virgin Nativity cathedral of the St. Ferapont Belozero (Ferapontov Belozersky) monastery at Ferapontovo in Russia's Vologda Region:
http://www.dionisy.com/img/234/frag_lg.jpg

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]