"Audiences: a cross generational dialogue"

A faculty-mentored cross-generational doctoral workshop on audiences and
audience research

Organised by YECREA and COST Action IS0906 Transforming Audiences
Transforming Societies

Presented in collaboration with ECREA (Audience and Reception Studies
section)

What is new and unique about being an audience researcher in contemporary
media environments? Are old questions, challenges and concepts still of
worth? What do we envisage in the next few decades of audience studies, and
where does our own work fit into that narrative? Addressing, these
questions, the ARS section of ECREA, YECREA (the young scholars' network of
ECREA) and COST Action IS0906 brings together three generations of audience
researchers in an intensive day-long workshop in Brussels on 11th April
2012.

For this, we invite abstracts from graduate students (preferably in advanced
stages of doctoral research) who see themselves contributing to audience
studies, including print, radio, film, television and internet audiences and
users. The proposed workshop is intended as a cross-generational space where
audience scholars from three distinct generations come together to discuss
the work of the doctoral students participating in the workshop and also
broader questions for the field

Mentors! The workshop will bring together Professors Denis McQuail, Kim
Schroder, Sonia Livingstone, David Buckingham, Martin Barker and Elizabeth
Bird. With a diverse range of approaches to audiences between them, they
will spend a day listening and responding to doctoral research and
addressing questions raised by their projects especially as they fit into
the narrative of audience research in the future decades. The intensive day
long workshop will feature opening and closing statements from each faculty
mentor, organised in a plenary, and parallel workshops focusing on student
work during the day.

Funding! We will be able to accept 20 doctoral students for this workshop,
of whom up to 10 students can be funded, provided the student is a member of
the COST Action Transforming Audiences Transforming Societies. Students who
are not a member of the Action will have to fund themselves if accepted to
attend this workshop.

Doctoral students are invited to send in abstracts addressing the following
parameters -

1. Abstracts describing the PhD project (500-800 words) should preferably be
from advanced doctoral students who are currently analysing their data and
writing up their research.

2. Abstracts should present the PhD project in a manner that reflects on the
history and future of the field of audience research and which culminates in
3 questions you would like to discuss in the workshop. Please note that the
media you work with does not matter - whether print or radio or internet,
but what we are interested in is how you reflect on your project as part of
the audience research narrative. If selected you will required to prepare a
brief presentation of your work for the day.

3. Please include a CV with your application

4. Please indicate if you are an Action Member

5. Our selection criteria will include (a) the intellectual coherence of
your PhD project and its relevance to audience research, (b) your attempts
at contextualising your PhD project within the broader narrative of the
field and (c) the fit between your interests and those of the faculty
mentors.

Deadline for submissions - 30th October 2011

Participants will be notified by - 30th November 2011

Please send applications to [log in to unmask]

Please see the call online at http://yecrea.eu/node/2199