REFERENCE ONLINE: The absence of more comment from public library leaders
prompts me to write. OK, so it doesn't take much!

From memory . Reference Online, as it was branded, resulted from the
incredible foresight and energy of Susi Woodhouse and colleagues at LIC/MLA
some years back. She negotiated with suppliers a reasonably-priced package
of online resources available to library authorities in England.

Suppliers were very cooperative and shared the excitement in the vision of
public libraries providing access to electronic reference works. Not only
were they constructive negotiators but they also invested in promotion.
There was great take up and most authorities selected a significant number
of resources from the "menu".

This represented the seminal change in library provision set out in the
People's Network strategy and essential for the future public library. This
is also why I asked on-list recently, when colleagues talked of "charging
for the Internet" if this, itself negative enough, also barred people from
free in-library access to basic e-reference works; this would undermine the
very idea of the public library and, I suggest, break the '64 Act
underpinning their provision..

Online reference resources sits alongside Enquire (24/7 email access to a
librarian) , in particular, as the beginnings of the e-public library
representing a parallel electronic version of what public libraries did,
traditionally and by law, namely providing access to information and
learning resources that most people would otherwise, never be able to see
and use.

It also represents the point at which public and academic library provision
touch hands. If only there could be more!

Lack of PR is often cited as a failing in the public library sector; there
was insufficient to

-          a) promote the resource and service and b) promote a 21st century
manifestation of the public library principle

What has been missing is

-          a single national portal for public libraries with one name and a
PR back-up that would effect a sea-change in public library access and
provision

What threatens to be missing in the current fragmented scenario is

-          national leadership and coordination that - in addition to
renewing this invaluable opportunity - further re-invents and modernises the
public library

The notion that a majority of staff are unaware of reference online is an
appalling indictment of leadership and training and should be addressed
urgently. If only library managers could get a day free from planning cuts
.. And are we telling new professionals in LIS departments?

While we are rightly preoccupied with the threats of library closures we are
missing the bigger threat posed by current policy; localism without
coordination denies people the huge opportunity that comes from national
collaboration. National leadership does not deny local choice. Rather it
offers the choice of resources that no localism could possibly afford to
deliver. This is basic economics, not ideology. Compare health, schools,
universities, forests, police etc etc

It is a shortcoming currently that almost all external advocacy for public
libraries has come from the literature/fiction community, notwithstanding
the WI! Library leaders and DCMS must earn support among colleagues in
education, lifelong learning, citizenship and community action, the
voluntary sector and the wider arts and cultural communities to raise
awareness of the library as a place of learning and discovery that does not
come only from borrowing fiction.

On trains and planes I tell people this stuff and they are amazed.

John

John Dolan OBE, BA, Dip Lib, MCLIP

E. [log in to unmask]

Tw @johnrdolan