Dear All

I am currently looking into the possibility of using volunteers to help deliver computer/internet training to the public. I'm aware that services such as Gloucestershire, Walsall and Kent offer a 1-to-1 computer buddies service with the help of volunteers but would like to know of any pitfalls or whether any other models are currently being used and perhaps some detail about how they work, how complicated or easy they for staff to administer (although I gather some services manage to get this done by outside organisations cf. Kent and CSV), which groups to approach about volunteering eg. silver surfers, students, staff etc.

We currently offer ad hoc help from staff as well as a program of regular IT training sessions delivered by 2 outside training organisations, is this the norm or should we be looking to do more? Also, is there any potential conflict with the interests of the aforementioned training organisations eg. those delivering Go-on courses in libraries who are funded by UK Online according to course completions and might be less willing to offer courses in libraries if their potential customers are directed towards computer buddies instead? Perhaps the computer buddies could refer people over to the courses once they reach a certain level of proficiency?
I will of course summarise any feedback for the list.

Kind regards

Phil Jones

ICT & Information Coordinator
Coventry Libraries and Information Services
Floor 2, West Orchards House
28-34 Corporation Street
Coventry
CV1 1GF