Hi all,

In both Cheshire authorities we have been sending a monthly email round to our customers promoting events and services, etc., and whilst time consuming they have always been popular, and have improved attendance at many events. We additionally send 'welcome' emails and 'lapsed user' emails, but in much smaller quantities.

Our current method of emailing customers has been via an email merge through a generic libraries mailbox within the authority, however we've been asked to stop doing this as Hotmail customers have been marking our emails as spam (instead of using the unsubscribe option in the email) and Hotmail are threatening to block all emails from our corporate systems, which we obviously can't let happen.

We are therefore keen to investigate alternate ways of emailing our customers as we don't want to lose this valuable service. If you send e-mailshots out to customers, how do you do it? Do you use a private company? Are there data protection issues if using third party products? Are costs justifiable? Any recommendations or suggestions gratefully received, and I will summarise for the list.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Niall Rowe
Systems Librarian
Cheshire Libraries
Address: Bibliographical Services, 91 Hoole Road, Chester, CH2 3NG
Tel: 01244 976715
Visit: www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/libraries<http://www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/libraries>
www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/libraries<http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/libraries>
http://libcat.cheshire.gov.uk<http://libcat.cheshire.gov.uk/>