Dear all,

I would like to draw your attention to the availability of (up to) 6 PhD
fellowships within the graduate research school GEOSIM in
Berlin/Potsdam. The ad is included in this email, more information to be
found on our website www.geo-x.net/geosim.
Thank you for informing potential candidates!

With very best wishes,

Karen Leever
GEOSIM coordinator

The graduate research school*GEOSIM*(Explorative Simulation in
Earth-Sciences) is a collaborative effort of researchers in departments
of Earth and Mathematical Sciences at the German Research Centre for
Geosciences (GFZ Potsdam), Potsdam University and Freie Universität
Berlin. By October 2011, 17 PhD students from 8 countries and 3
continents will have started their projects in the various participating
groups. To complete our ranks, we invite applications for an additional

*6 PhD fellowships*

**

in the field of simulation of Earth System processes.

GEOSIM focuses on research in three critical fields of Earth Sciences by
using numerical and physical simulation as an explorative tool dedicated
to advancing our qualitative and quantitative understanding of Earth's
complex systems. These fields are solid earth dynamics and earthquakes,
atmosphere-hydrosphere dynamics and climate, and hydrological flow and
transport processes. The fields will be studied through methods such as
data exploration and assimilation, model selection and validation;
experimental simulation and their quantitative analysis; analysis of
scaling properties of geo-processes; explorative simulation and
computer-aided modelling of incompletely known systems. We aim to train
a new generation of young, interdisciplinary scientists with skills in
combining applied geosciences with the development of physical concepts
of Earth systems, mathematical abstraction, and the use of
high-performance computing.

*What we offer:***Training will include advanced courses in the above
subjects, summer schools, and workshops complementing the research work
in the topic of the PhD thesis. Candidates will be co-supervised by an
earth scientist and a mathematician and will benefit from a stimulating
interdisciplinary research environment. The three-year PhD fellowships
amount 1500 euro/month.

*What we ask:***We expect candidates to contribute to the development of
their own research topic and to participate in the school's curriculum.
At the time of appointment, candidates should have a MSc degree (or
equivalent) in at least one of the following fields as well as a strong
affinity with a complementary discipline: Earth Sciences, Physics,
Chemistry, Meteorological Sciences, Mathematics, Computer Sciences or
Engineering.

The website http://www.geo-x.net/geosim provides more information on
candidate requirements and the onlineapplication procedure, on the
groups and scientists involved in GEOSIM, potential thesis subjects and
the PhD curriculum.

Candidate evaluation will begin after the application deadline on
October 20^th , 2011; the anticipated start of the PhD projects is on
April 1^st , 2012. GFZ, Potsdam University and Freie Universität Berlin
are equal opportunity / affirmative action employers.

Prof. Dr. O. Oncken (GFZ Potsdam)

Prof. Dr. R. Klein (FU Berlin)

Prof. Dr. F. Scherbaum (Potsdam University)

Dr. K. Leever (GEOSIM coordinator)

--
dr. Karen A. Leever
Geo.Sim coordination

Section 3.1: Lithosphere Dynamics
Phone: +49 (0)331/288-1326
Email:[log in to unmask]
Website:www.geo-x.net/geosim

Helmholtz Centre Potsdam
GFZ German Research Centre For Geosciences
Public Law Foundation State of Brandenburg
Telegrafenberg, 14473 Potsdam