From: Tectonics & structural geology discussion list [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Scott Johnson [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 29 September 2011 13:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Thanks! and another question

The angle of internal friction is a constant material property. It is only measured by the repose angle in the case where no shear stress is applied to the base. So, slowly build a pile of sand, and at the point where the surface is at failure – that slope is the internal angle of friction. If you push the pile along you will form a wedge, and the slope of the wedge will be lower than the angle of repose and will depend on the basal angle of friction and the slope of the interface. When the wedge reaches the critical angle, it will continually deform internally and along its base to maintain that angle. Annoyances like focused erosion, material strength heterogeneity, etc in the Earth lead to variations of course.

I attach a portion of a lab I use in a class here to show the equations relating the various angles and frictional properties. You can also find some good sand (and other) experiments here (careful, they are student projects that contain some errors):

http://www.geology.um.maine.edu/geodynamics/AnalogWebsite/html_files/crustal%20dynamics.html

There is a vast literature on critical wedges. You will finds lots or references in the projects at the URL above.

Cheers - Scott

Scott E. Johnson
Professor and Chair
Department of Earth Sciences