Luis
You are right.

If you want to find out more about stress, look
at the following web page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_%28mechanics%29

There are enough nice color diagrams, arrows,
equations, matrices, and explanations to keep one
busy all day. It covers most anything you would
want to know about stress and is truly well done.

Dennis

>El 28/09/2011, a las 09:17, D. Mukhopadhyay escribió:
>
>>  Stress across a particular surface is a
>>vector; stress at a point connotes surface
>>stresses on planes of all possible orientations
>>passing through the point; it is a symmetric
>>tensor of 3rd rank.
>
>If  I am not wrong (wouldn't be the first time,
>nor the last), stress is a second order tensor,
>not third.
>
>All the best!
>

>______________________________
>Dr. Luis Arlegui
>Area de Geodinámica Interna
>Dpto. Ciencias de la Tierra
>Universidad de Zaragoza

-----------
Dr. Dennis Brown
Instituto de Ciencias de la Tierra "Jaume Almera"
c/Lluis Sole i Sabaris s/n
08028 Barcelona
Spain
Tel: 34 93 409 54 10