Hi Ernie,

With all due respect, while I agree with you that the term brittle-ductile transition is a misnomer, I wanted to point out that some of us still use it in an effort to reach the broader earth science community rather than targeting our work toward rock experimentalists.  Most earth scientists will know the term BDT and will, as you say, associate it with a place in the crust (e.g. the base of the seismogenic layer).  In some cases, this association is sufficient to get one's point across in a paper, whereas the use of terms like 'brittle-plastic' or 'frictional-viscous' transition may alienate or deter broader earth science readers.  In other words, although it is incorrect and imprecise, there are practical reasons for continuing its use, just as there are with hundreds of other misnomers in the English language.

Cheers,

Whitney Behr