John

Good examples to visit in South Africa are the Rooi Rand dykes in northern KwaZulu-Natal province. Easily accessible along the Pongola River (I describe these in my 1994 MSc thesis from the University of Natal-Durban (now University of KwaZulu-Natal) and in a 1995 JSG paper. These are part of a failed Gondwana breakup dike swarm (Jurassic, intruded into Permo-Triassic Karoo sedimentary rocks). My former advisor and co-author on the JSG paper, Mike Watkeys (University of KwaZulu-Natal), is the best person to contact about dyke exposures in South Africa in general.

If you want something more recent (as in ~750 to 10,000s of years old), try the Reykjanes Peninsula in SW Iceland. Where the mid-Atlantic ridge comes onshore, there are exposed dikes along sea cliffs, including one that fed the Reykjanes Fires eruption ending in 1241. There are also dikes exposed intruding into late Pleistocene hyaloclastites.

Regards,
Simon Kattenhorn