> a related question, is the distribution of FA values in a regions generally correlated with the amount of white matter and gray matter in that region?

I would expect that more grey matter would give you lower FA, but that is not necessarily the case. There are white matter regions near the cortex with crossing fibres (association tracts running close to the cortex meeting tracts that enter the cortex), in which case more white matter will lower FA (FA can be surprisingly high in grey matter). I guess it may be an interesting project if you had time to investigate it in detail :)

> If so is there a particular range of FA values you would assign to gray matter?

I don't know. Would need to do a high res experiment to see that. Perhaps people who have acquired 7T diffusion data could answer this question.