Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:20:38 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Divergent drawing exercises
To: [log in to unmask]

Hello.
I was hoping to pick the collective brain.
I've been tasked with running a series of drawing sessions aimed at first year undergrads, within an illustration an animation framework. The brief that I've been given is to 'open up the students expectations' of what drawing is or can be. Beyond this, the only stipulation is that the course leaders would like the students to begin developing a set of skills that will serve them when drawing representationally later on in their studies e.g faces, the human form, mass, light etc.
I'm going to factor life drawing into the series of sessions but I wondered if there were any cornerstone exercises that members called on to:loosen up (or possibly tighten up!) the eye/hand and get students out of the mindset that photorealistic renderings of a subject don't equate to the most successful/interesting drawingsI have two or three ideas that can be varied and we'll also be going out to different locations to make a series of drawings at each site.
This is going to be a year long programme and my initial thought is that the most important factor in the students development is to get them making as many drawings as they can. They will be using A4 sketchbooks to gather as much information as they can and then, seed larger pieces of work when back in the studio. Of course my hope is that the group will start to formulate their own drawing aspirations and practices beyond the initial projects and tasks set for them.
Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.
Dan