Following my request for articles etc on capitalism and disability (many thanks to everyone who responded) I came across an excellent book by Marta Russell called ‘Beyond Ramps: Disability at the End of the Social Contract’. I’m sure some of you are familiar with it. If you’re not, I highly recommend it, although you’ll need to tolerate the American terminology.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-Ramps-Ending-Social-Contract/dp/1567511066/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315558007&sr=8-1

I’m only a couple of chapters in, but I’ve already had my mind changed on the issue of assisted suicide. Bendygirl’s article is a pointer to why. And some of the statistics provided in Russell’s book are horrifying.

Paraphrasing. “In an entrepreneurial society, unscrupulous people will see a business opportunity in assisted suicide”.

My revised view is that until disabled people are fully valued and included, and until Independent Living has been fully implemented in practice, no society is qualified to decide on the issue of legalising assisted suicide.

Even when we do have IL and social inclusion, no non-disabled person should have any involvement in assisting disabled people to die.

In the current socio-economic-political climate we need to keep a close eye on extreme right wing groups finding justification from the past for disability hate crime.

Paul Swann

Policy Officer (Independent Living)

Disability Wales / Anabledd Cymru

t: 02920 887325

f: 02920 888702

e: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

w: disabilitywales.org

 cid:image001.jpg@01CA7E68.23D39D90                                            ilncampaign.JPG

DW is campaigning for a National Delivery Strategy on Independent Living for Disabled People in Wales.

About Us       Events       Membership       News       DW on Facebook      DW on Twitter

Disability Wales/Anabledd Cymru is a Registered Charity, No. 517391

and a Company Limited by Guarantee, No. 1998621