Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it so clearly.

Sent from my Samsung smartphone on AT&T

Tina Minkowitz <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

i don't think it's about rationality, rather about bodies and connection.  to allow the state to intervene in a woman's decision about pregnancy is to interpose the state in the woman's body.  there is no getting around this.  furthermore there is nothing comparable that the state does to men (it is, still, men who run most governments in the world and who have historically done so), so men cannot imagine what this means to women.  an argument in favor of regulating and restricting women's right to terminate a pregnancy at will, amounts to saying that because of this gift of being able to create life in her body, a woman is subject to greater control by the state - as if the state is claiming the gift as its own.  i cannot accept that.  the state is both impersonal and powerful the way that machinery is, it dehumanizes us all to bring our most deeply personal ethical decisions related to our bodies, under control by the state.  the feminist movement as well as the disability movement (particularly women with disabilities, and also especially survivors of psychiatric assault) have a consistent position about this, our bodies and minds are our own.  we also start from a horizontal rather than vertical (hierarchical) approach to collective good, so that anyone's opinions about rationality (which have oppressed all women as well as people labeled with mental/psychosocial/intellectual/cognitive/learning disabilities, and indigenous and colonized peoples) are just not relevant to a determination of rights and responsibilities.

best wishes,

tina

Tina Minkowitz, Esq.
Center for the Human Rights of Users and Survivors of Psychiatry
44 Palmer Pond Rd.
Chestertown, NY  12817  USA
+1-518-494-0174