I seem to spend half my time these days explaining the false reification of the social model into some kind of scientific model of the world as it is. What it is, is a powerful tool for liberation, for obtaining better services, accommodations and equality. It never was a model. You have made the fundamental error in step one of your argument of equating disability and impairment. Pain is part of impairment, what you can and can’t do with it is largely socially determined beyond that. I would recommend an old book now which demonstrates how even pain is socially constructed, it is a learned thing, really, my trouble has been for instance not being able to express it well enough in the socially conventional way.

Here you go: -  Morris, D. (1998) Illness and Culture in the Post Modern Age University of California Press. Berkeley CA

And don’t say I am not good for something. As someone who does experience chronic pain, I can build philosophies around it because that is what I do, what you start out with you can’t change that much, but all of the rest that surrounds it is as much social model as anything else IMO, one of these days I’ll write a paper on pain, because in some cultures it is a valuable commodity, the ability to endure and publicly display pain is considered highly desirable, as in tattooing rituals, the Lakota Sundance, Phillipino crucifixions etc etc etc ................... Even in our culture in terms of sports and athletics “no pain no gain”

Larry

From: The Disability-Research Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of LILITH Finkler
Sent: 25 September 2011 16:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: challenges to social model from within disability studies

Dear friends and colleagues. In reviewing research data, I noted key informants discuss issues re: chronic pain
and the lack of what I refer to as "corporeal integrity". In other words, folks have indicated that their difficulties
reside not only within their society but within their bodies as well. Initially, being a social model adherent, I found
this challenging to reconcile. I have read some of Carol Thomas' work and wonder if any of you can suggest articles
that address this issue, critiquing the social model but from within teh social model perspective. Work specific to chronic
pain would be great but other reccomended works would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much, Lilith