I have recently received a request from a postgraduate student with Dyslexia for the cost of interview transcriptions to be covered through the DSA.  My question is if this is appropriate use of DSA funding?  My concern is that it is widely accepted that in research situations where students are expected to transcribe interviews undertaken  is a long and laborious process.  I understand that this may be even longer for a Dyslexia student  but how do I quantify how much more difficult this is.  My concern is by providing a transcription service for every interview the student undertakes may go beyond equality and put the student at an advantage to a non Dyslexic student who still has to put the long and laborious time into transcribing their research.  Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark Phillips

(Needs Assessor)
Assessment Centre, Cardiff