From: A forum for critical and radical geographers [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of JONES, Owain [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 06 September 2011 11:44
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: photographs in public places in UK

Hi David, Tina, and others for comments on this. It useful set of ideas
about using photography video in public space etc

I just point out that some of the great artworks of the 20th c were the
'street photos' of people like Cartier-Bresson. These were often very up
close, intimate and revealing of 'the-person-in-moment'. I assume permission
was not gained before or after those works taken then circulated
(eventually) very widely.

(The same must go for all the photos in a book like Colin Ward's the Child
in the City) (And Parr's work)

David, as an artist, what is you response?

(not saying 'research' and 'art practice' are the same politically and
ethically - but a comparative consideration is of interest)

cheers

Dr Owain Jones

Senior Research Fellow:  Countryside & Community Research Institute /
Contact Details
Publications: Academia.edu/OwainJones
Chair:  Royal Geographical Society  Research Group on Children Youth and
Families
Associate Editor:  Journal of Children's Geographies
Committee:  Royal Geographical Society  Social and Cultural Geography
Research Group
Associate: Land2
Visiting Fellow: School of Arts and Social Sciences, Northumbria University

Priston Festival

Mobile: 07871 572969