From: Jonathan Cloke <[log in to unmask]>
To: CRIT-GEOG-FORUM <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 21:18
Subject: Re: New proposals for school geography

"There isn't one mention of the sustainability in the whole document. Should we turn off the TV, disconnect from the web and disengage from global issues entirely?"

Interesting how sustainability gets used and abused, particularly by the Condemolition Derby. See yon Simon Jenkins, re the UK government's new brightest bestest plan, the removal of virtually all planning legislation regarding the rural:

“The word sustainable should never appear in an act of parliament. It is a weasel word, an adjective not qualifying a noun but lightly dusting it with vague political approval. Sustainability is the sort of Blairism that gave us downsizing for sacking and humanitarian intervention for war. The only sustainable meadow is a meadow. Sustainable development is a contradiction in terms. It means development.” (Simon Jenkins, The Guardian, Thursday 28 July 2011).

An interesting apercu...

Dr Jon Cloke
Lecturer/Research Associate
Geography Department