Sent on behalf of Professor Jocey Quinn, Dr Kim Allen and Sumi Hollingworth

Dear colleagues, with apologies for cross-postings,

We are delighted to invite you to ‘Local Cultures of Education and Work’, the third seminar in our ESRC funded Seminar Series ‘New Perspectives on Education and Culture’. Please see http://educationandculture.wordpress.com/ for more detail and how to book.

This aim of this seminar is to discuss how current changes in the labour market and the further and higher education landscape are impacting on young people in local communities and how local cultures and educational practices shape each other. Specifically we aim to explore how such changes are emotionally experienced by young people in different localities and what influences cultural shifts (or cultural ‘sticking’) in these communities. The seminar aims to bring together and begin a dialogue between research, policy and practice at a time when the future of further and higher education, youth training and employment opportunities for young people are increasingly uncertain and to explore how these wider shifts play out at a local level.

Guest speakers:
Professor Valerie Walkerdine (Cardiff University) ‘Unemployed young men, work and learning in the Welsh valleys’
Professor Anoop Nayak (Newcastle University) and Dr Mary Jane Kehily (The Open University) ‘Lads, Chavs and Pram-Face Girls’: Embodiment and Emotion in Working-Class Youth Cultures’

Panel Discussion:
Marcus Duran, Community Learning Manager, Toynbee Hall, Aspire Project
Jonathan Wright, The Work Foundation
Alison Humberstone, Young People and Employment Division, Department for Work and Pensions
Ginny Lee, The Young Foundation, Fast Laner’s project

We hope to see you there

With best wishes

Jocey Quinn, Kim Allen and Sumi Hollingworth

--

Sumi Hollingworth
Senior Research Fellow

www.londonmet.ac.uk/ipse