Bruce,
Allow me some self-promotional response by suggesting the forthcoming edited
volume:
*Subprime Cities: The Political Economy of Mortgage Markets*
http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1444337777.html
http://www.amazon.com/Subprime-Cities-Political-Economy-Mortgage/dp/1444337777/ref=tmm_pap_title_0
The paperback has a student friendly price. The book includes a foreword by
David Harvey and chapters by Saskia Sassen and many other geographers,
sociologists and political economists.
The book is supposed to be out early March 2012. (Wiley's website being more
optimistic and amazon more pessimistic.)
Best,
Manuel

--
Manuel B. Aalbers, Ph.D.