Good morning everyone, and welcome to Day 2 of the CIG e-forum on
Reclassification. We are looking forward to lots of discussion again
today, so please do join in!

There was some interesting debate yesterday and Debbie has posted a very
useful summary of the discussions we had yesterday, so if want to
refresh your memory, or you're joining us for Day 2, then that would be
a good starting point.

My name is Gill, and I'm a member of the Digital Processing Team at the
British Library, and also the CILIPDDC Minutes Secretary.  I was really
interested in the discussions yesterday because reclassification
surfaces as a topic every now and again in the CILIPDDC meetings and
it's nice to get views at a practical level.

When reviewing papers for schedule revision, we often weigh up the
impact of different options, and there are often opposing views amongst
the members on the extent to which libraries still reclassify, so it is
good to get information on this. The discussion then inevitably strays
also onto future developments which may lessen the need to reclassify in
the longer term, which is a topic we can move on to in the afternoon
session.

Perhaps, to begin, though, we could pick up on whether those libraries
using DDC22 or earlier are planning on reclassifying to DDC23? That
topic cropped up a bit yesterday, but I think more discussion on this
would be useful.

I can then outline the nature of the changes in a later post, and the
context of the changes in relation to those for edition 22 and 21.

Also, I can outline what the Committee does in more detail, if anyone
would like more information? My colleague Caroline Kent would have
covered this in her talk at the reclassification event last week, but
you won't all have attended that,

Gill