Good morning,

We're in a very similar position to Nicky Ransom at UCA-we have a multi-site, multi-college university in which individual subject librarians still assign classification numbers when they select stock.  And each college has a different way of applying Dewey, so in some cases we may own a single book at each of 6 different colleges, with 6 different numbers assigned!  We therefore sorely need a large reclassification project as we try to make our libraries more unified.

Rectifying this will take a tremendous amount of work in terms of logistics and also politically in convincing the college staff to change numbers-right now many of them are convinced that their local application is the best for their users and they are reluctant to change.

We have recently undergone a restructure, resulting in centralized ordering & cataloguing for all our libraries, so after the dust settles it may be easier to convince college staff to let go of classification.  But I think this will probably have to come down as a top-level decision.

And that's not even touching on the difficulties of actually editing records and relabeling stock ...

Kate Kluttz
Acquisitions & Metadata Librarian
Library Resources & Systems
University of the Arts London
020 7514 8586

We've moved into our amazing new home at King's Cross.

FIND OUT MORE:
www.csm.arts.ac.uk/kings-cross