Lesley is right in her response to Helen’s question re the main changes, that in the context of some of the extent of the changes to earlier editions, the changes aren’t too dramatic for Ed.23.

For example, in ed. 21 Education was extensively  revised, as was the whole of Life Sciences, and Public Administration, and Computing was revised (the Internet – 004.678) was a new number!). With ed. 22 Maths was fairly extensively revised, there were changes to EU law, computing was again, Table 7 was removed, there were some changes to guidebooks (647 to 910) area and the manual streamlined, etc.

A good starting point for Ed. 23 changes is the “new features” at:

http://www.oclc.org/dewey/versions/print/new_features.pdf

Another vital source is the Dewey blog, which has excellent coverage to changes in computing and medicine/health:

http://ddc.typepad.com

The changes seem to divide into major changes to whole areas (expansions/relocations) to “major but disparate changes”, to major updates to tables, to more minor changes in terminology/captions/elimination of dual headings/discontinuations etc.

The major changes to whole areas are are predictably areas like computing, where there are numerous changes in 004-006, with the largest set of changes in 005.7. Two general trends have been addressed: the proliferation of smaller computing devices, and the fact that many computing devices are multifunctional. Some of these changes were incorporated into WebDewey in 2008, but others are new to coincide with the print edition of 23. This is explained in great detail in the blog for Aug. 24, 2011.

Another major area of change, is that to medicine and health. Again, some of the more routine changes have already been introduced with WebDewey (e.g. Diabetes type 1 and 2), but with those for 611.018 Cytology and histology and 612 Human physiology the changes were complex and couldn’t be fully explained in a preview.

The other main area of change, as someone has already mentioned, is 777, cinematography and videography.

So, as someone posted earlier individual libraries need to evaluate the changes in the context of their stock, and decide what they can live with.

Gill