PhD Fellowships to study molecular mechanisms of Asymmetric Cell Divisions at IEO, Milano

Applications are invited for two Ph.D. positions to study the structure and function of macromolecular complexes involved in asymmetric cell divisions.
To understand mechanisms underlying asymmetric divisions we follow a multidisciplinary approach combining biochemistry, structural biology
and cell biology (http://www.ifom-ieo-campus.it/research/mapelli.php). Our studies are expected to have a major impact on the understanding of
stem cell biology, with possible applications at the forefront of anticancer therapy and regenerative medicine.

We seek motivated and enthusiastic students, who have recently obtained a University degree in Life Science disciplines (or a qualification equivalent to a Master degree).
Some experience in biochemistry or structural biology would be advantageous, though not required. Willingness to study protein functions with biochemical and biophysical methods, as well as interest in learning protein crystallography are essential.
The Ph.D. positions are within the SEMM "Ph.D. in Molecular Medicine" program (http://www.semm.it/). The closing date for applications to SEMM is September 25, 2011.

The Structural Biology Department of the IFOM-IEO Campus is equipped with the state-of-the-art apparatus for protein purification, characterization and crystallization,
and has good access to the synchrotron beamlines. Successful candidates will benefit from a stimulating and collaborative environment within the Campus
(http://www.ifom-ieo-campus.it/).

I am looking forward to meeting you at the selections.

With kind regards,
Marina

-----
Marina Mapelli, PhD