*Apologies for any cross-postings*

Dear colleagues,

PSi Regional Research Cluster "*Encounters in Synchronous Time" *will take
place in Athens (Greece) on *25-27th November 2011*. We will update you soon
with further information on the program and some parallel activities but
some initial information is already available online at
http://encountersinsynchronoustime.wordpress.com<http://encountersinsynchronoustime.wordpress.com/them/>

At this stage we would like to draw your attention to a series of workshops
that will take place within this frame in Athens between 22nd-24th November.

* *

   - *And when I stand here, who do I stand for**
                           ** *a workshop with Ivana Müller

   - *Performing Document** *            *
                                                 *a workshop with Janez
   Janša**

   - *Double translations: telling another way to tell** **
*
                                      a workshop with Karen Christopher &
   Litó Walkey

These workshops are addressed to performance artists of all disciplines and
levels, who are interested in working between theoretical and performance
practices.

Places are strictly limited and pre-booking is necessary. Online you will
soon find information about accommodation in Athens, special offers and
further travel information. Please contact us ([log in to unmask])
if you have any questions or you need further assistance with practicalities
in Athens.

Further details for the workshops can be found below and online here
http://encountersinsynchronoustime.wordpress.com/workshops

With best regards,

The organizational team of the PSi regional research cluster, Athens,
November 2011.

*"encounters in synchronous time** / Double translations: telling another
way to tell" with Karen Christopher & Litó Walkey*

Workshop duration: 22-24 November 2011, 16.30-19.30

(venue of the workshop TBC).

Workshop cost: 75 euros

(a deposit of 25 euros is required for registration in the workshop)

* *

*Description*: We seek to understand the present moment, and we are curious
about the effects of simultaneous actions taking place and acting on
separate bodies in separate locations, we will explore the potential of
carefully composed performance directives for use as creative mechanisms,
and we will cut into the present so that the future leaks in. We will
present a workshop in advance of our presentation: *Double translations:
telling another way to tell.* The workshop will take place over three days
and culminate with possible participation in our conference presentation.
This workshop will involve both movement of the body and spoken word, we
will make use of our visual and aural capacities with a focus on
attentiveness, and work to sense time and place as tools in the service of
composition. Of the questions posed by the conference curators we will
address the following: How does the notion of encounter (in the sense of a
shared time between people) help us address issues of spectatorship,
individuality, alterity and collaboration, dialogue and exchange in
performance and performance studies in the current moment?

*Karen Christopher* is a collaborative performance deviser, performer, and
teacher. Her practice includes listening for the unnoticed, the almost
invisible, and the very quiet. She was a member of the Chicago-based
performance group Goat Island for 20 years until the group disbanded in
2009. With Goat Island, Karen performed and led workshops throughout the USA
and the UK, and in Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Germany, and Switzerland.
Karen now lives and works in London where she has launched Haranczak/Navarre
Performance Projects and teaches part time at Central School of Speech &
Drama. She is an associate artist at Chelsea Theatre (London), and recently
received an honorary fellowship from University College Falmouth.

*Litó Walkey* is a performer and choreographer based in Berlin. She studied
at the School for New Dance Development in Amsterdam and was a member of the
Chicago-based performance company Goat Island from 2002-2009. Her own
projects have been presented in Europe and America: ‘wings raised to a
second power’, ‘The Missing Dance No.7′, ‘instanded’, ‘To fight a duel’ and
‘Like that, like this’. Litó has worked with choreographers Vera Mantero and
Martine Piscani, and maintains ongoing collaborations with artists such as
Lucy Cash, Alice Chauchat, Boris Hauf and Martin Nachbar. Her work focuses
on collaborative methods and forms of writing dance. She is currently in the
Masters of Choreography program at the Amsterdam Theaterschool. Litó is an
Associate Lecturer at the Inter-University Center for Dance Berlin.

*2. "Performing Document" with Janez Janša*

Workshop duration: 22-24 November 2011, 13.00-17.30

(venue of the workshop TBC)

Workshop cost: 75 euros

(a deposit of 25 euros is required for registration in the workshop)

* *

*Description*: The intention of the workshop is to develop creative approach
to history. Instead of working on a historical event, the participants are
invited to invent an event in the past (distant at least 30 years) which
they might reconstruct through various approaches. They will work on
creating evidence of an event in the past which didn’t take place. The aim
of the workshop is to show how history is constructed by creating forged
evidence. The evidence should be created in convincing manner, so anyone who
would look at the collection of evidence would become at least curious in
the presented event, if not completely taken by the evidence. The work will
contain both imagination in history as well as research in historical
period. The participants will learn through their own research about history
of performance in very practical way. They will create non-existing event
and the presentation of evidence on that event will become new performative
format, which might be combination of documentary theatre, reenactment,
lecture performance or non-academic lecture.

*Janez Janša* is artist, writer, performer and director of interdisciplinary
performances a.o. WE ARE ALL MARLENE DIETRICH* *FOR (with Erna Omarsdottir),
PUPILIJA, PAPA PUPILO AND THE PUPILCEKS – RECONSTRUCTION and THE MORE OF US
THERE ARE, THE FASTER WE WILL REACH OUR GOAL. His visual works include a. o.
REFUGEE CAMP FOR THE FIRST WORLD CITIZENS (with Peter Šenk), NAME* Readymade
* (with Janez Janša and Janez Janša) and LIFE [IN PROGRESS]. His work
contains strong critical and political dimension and it is focused on the
relation between art and social and political context. He is author of the
book on Jan Fabre (JAN FABRE – La Discipline du chaos, le chaos de la
discipline, Armand Colin, Paris 1994) and has been editor in chief of MASKA,
performing arts journal from 1999 to 2006. He is the director of Maska,
institute for publishing, production and education based in Ljubljana,
Slovenia.

* *

*3. "And when I stand here, who do I stand for" with Ivana Müller*

Workshop duration: 23-24 November 2011, 13.00-19.00

(venue of the workshop TBC)

Workshop cost: 75 euros

(a deposit of 25 euros is required for registration in the workshop)

*Description*: In this workshop we will be work on notion of body and its
capacity of representation. We will start with the idea of “representation
in theatre” but soon after continue into area of political representation,
physical representation , etc. Through this we will include the idea of
“voice” and notion of “having a voice,” and in such a way connect the idea
of practice of choreography and theatre with the practice of “being a
citizen”. We will talk a lot. And we will use those discussions to create
choreographic scores.

We will probably even create a short piece together.

*Ivana Müller* is a choreographer, artist and author of texts. She grew up
in Croatia but most of her life lived and worked as a foreigner. Müller’s
dance and theatre performances, installations, text works, video-lectures,
audio pieces, guided tours and web works have been presented in venues and
festivals such as Rotterdamse Schouwburg, STUK Leuven, brut Vienna, Frascati
Theater Amsterdam, Kampnagel Hamburg, La Villette Paris, Wiener Festwochen,
Theatertreffen Berlin, DTW New York, National Museum of Singapore, Saddler’s
Wells London, Springdance Festival Utrecht, HAU Berlin, Centre nationale de
danse Paris,  Kaaitheater Brussels (for a more extensive list of works and
venues please look at the page WORKS). Some of the recurring subjects in
Müller’s work are body and it’s representation, self-invention, place of
imaginary and imagination, notion of authorship and the relationship between
performer and spectator. In 2007 Müller received the Charlotte Koehler Prize
from the Prins Bernhard Funds (NL) for her œuvre, as well as Impulse
Festival and Goethe Institute Prize for her piece While We Were Holding It
Together*. *Ivana Müller is one of the founding members of LISA (2004 –
2009), a collaborative production and discursive platform based in
Amsterdam. Ivana Müller lives in Paris and Amsterdam and works
internationally.

People interested in one or more workshops should send a motivation letter
(250 words max), explaining why they wish to participate in them, to:
[log in to unmask] by Monday 3 October 2011.

Please note that on Thursday 24 November 2011 at 20.00-22.00, the
participants of all workshops will meet with all the artists for an open
discussion and reflection on their work and the symposium’s theme at the I.
& R. Duncan Research Dance Centre – Municipality of Vyronas.

--

*encounters in synchronous time** *

*PSi Regional Research Cluster, Athens 22nd - 27th November 2011*