The Fight Over the Future of Digital Books - Dan Cohen - Technology - The Atlantic
Unlike Google, which ambitiously -- some would say recklessly -- planned to make all scanned books available in some form to the public, from "snippets" to full views, HathiTrust simply wishes to make available for scholarship older, out-of-print books whose authors and publishers cannot be located. Often called "orphan works," these books exist in an unclear realm: still technically in copyright but without identifiable rights-holders. What is very clear is that without the orphanages we call libraries, many of these works would no longer be available for scholars to read.

http://bit.ly/pUJoPq

Source: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/09/the-fight-over-the-future-of-digital-books/245577/
See if people are clicking on this link: http://bit.ly/pUJoPq+
Try the bitly.com sidebar to see who is talking about a page on the web: http://bitly.com/pages/sidebar