This is a very interesting remarks, which reminds me of the research of my former colleague (now retired) Janneke Buurman. In several of her Bronze Age sites in Dutch Western Frisia she found a fixed combination of (few) waterlogged seeds among a whealth of carbonised remains. In a publication about Westwoud, she called these "puzzling fresh seeds", which cannot have derived from the vegetation during excavation, and include Lemna, Eupatorium cannabinum (only small fragments), Alisma plantago-aquatica (highly worn embryos), Ranunculus sect. Batrachium, Thalictrum flavum and Menyanthes trifoliata (see p. 146 of the attached article). She does not consider these species to be authentic for the Bronze Age, but maybe they could be??? Any more ideas about this???

oTTo

Van: The archaeobotany mailing list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Namens Monckton, Angela
Verzonden: dinsdag 27 september 2011 13:54
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: id-help request, missing image

Yes it is Lemna (duckweed).
It occurs in waterlogged deposits but I have often found it in conditions where there is no waterlogged preservation of plant or other remains, such as in ditches where there are snail shells of snails indicating standing water in the past.
It seems to be preserved in some soils, particularly clay soils as found in Leicestershire.
I asssume it is because the seed contains silicates but I have never found a reference to be sure.

Angela