Dear Stephen

At Newcastle we have quite recently introduced the option for students with an address outside of the UK to sit  exams in their home
country.    This was in response to the growth in overseas student numbers and a desire to improve services offered to students generally.   It is interesting to me that many institutions seem to be moving in the opposite direction and have recently stopped this provision.

The circumstances are limited in that applications are accepted for resit exams (during term time all students are expected to be in Newcastle) and a small number of exams are exempt for practical reasons.   The vast majority of overseas exams are held during the August resit period.  British Council Offices are used to host and we have found them to be very professional.  We now have a list of established contacts and have had very few problems with communication or the conduct of exams.  In the countries without a BC office, the British Council has recommend an equivalent organisation.  Exceptions are the USA and Australia where we tend to use Universities.  All hosts are issued with detailed guidance of how to conduct the exam and must sign an agreement identifying a named contact.  Exams are held simultaneously with the exam taking place on campus or, where this is impossible, an alternative paper is provided by the department.

We administered over 350 exams off campus during this August.  We charge an admin. fee for the service and make a modest profit.

If you  would like any more information, just get in touch.

Regards
Liane

Liane Brierley
Academic Administration Manager
Student Progress Service
Student Services
King’s Gate
Newcastle University
NE1 7RU
tel 0191 2226084

Your views about the service we provide are very important to us and will help us make improvements where required.  Please use this form to make any comments about the service you have received from us http://forms.ncl.ac.uk/view.php?id=368