of Kabbalah, and I'm more interested here in Reuchlin's influence on scholarly definitions of
Kabbalah and esotericism than in speculation about the influence of Christian Kabbalah on
later Kabbalists (and obviously Reuchlin wasn't an influence on the Zohar authors or Abulafia).

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Sue/Shya <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Ted;
Beginning of semester and memory becomes more sketchy as the years go by ;(

As Idel indicates in the article you linked (something weird about this article - no bibliographic info although clearly it comes from some academic journal (couldn't find it in a very quick search), and the English is poor - not Idel's style - makes me think it is a pirated translation from Hebrew), Reuchlin positions his Kabbalah as philosophy (good) as opposed to magic (bad). Scholem takes basically the same stand in his resurrection of the Kabbalah as a topic worthy of academic study. Because of course, back then, academic study of philosophy - good, of magic - bad. Somewhat simplistic, of course, but generally speaking.
And actually, I think as Idel as pointed out, Christian interpreters of Kabbalah, of which Reuchlin was perhaps the most influential, influenced Jewish Kabbalists quite a bit - at least in terms of their response.See "Jewish Kabbalah in Christian Garb Some Phenomenological Remarks" in The Hebrew Renaissance, 1997 eds Klepper and Signer, and "Jewish Thinkers versus Christian Kabbalah" in Christliche Kabbala 2003, Schmidt-Biggemann, Wilhelm.

Shya
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">Ted Hand
To: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 10:18 PM
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Definition of Esotericism? (related to magick vs religion and Thelema Modern)

Hey Shya thanks for the correction, and good to hear from you. What I mean is that Reuchlin
seems to be working on a sort of theory of esotericism, although he's obviously not using the
term since it wasn't extant yet. (IIRC it doesn't show up 'til a few centuries later.) Cody should
definitely read your MA thesis if he wants to get a good overview of Reuchlin and an introduction
to the problem of theurgy. Can you say anything about the influence of Reuchlin on Scholem's
concept of Kabbalah?