Indeed, that is the exact quote I was thinking of, I had tried my best to recollect it but its been a while since I had read it.

Honestly, I would agree with his assessment, although not from any experiences with spiritists or spiritualists, or mediums, but simply from the underlying reasoning. If one opens oneself to any influence that happens to come along, one is asking for serious problems. The most important part of learning practicing any sort of ritual magick is in the banishing and protective arts, before any sort of invocation or evocation can begin. Not taking those simple precautions would be as stupid and dangerous as jumping from an airplane without a parachute.

Thanks for finding the quote.

--- On Fri, 9/23/11, David Mattichak <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: David Mattichak <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Crowley and Spiritualism
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, September 23, 2011, 9:42 PM

Hi frater;
I found the reference (or one of them) on pg 199 of the 1929 edition of Magick in Theory and Practice and it is as you say:
Of all the creatures He ever met, the most prominent of English spiritists (a
journalist and pacifist of more than European fame) had the filthiest mind and the
foulest mouth. He would break off any conversation to tell a stupid smutty story,
and could hardly conceive of any society assembling for any other purpose than
"phallic orgies", whatever they may be. Utterly incapable of keeping to a subject,
he would drag the conversation down again and again to the sole subject of which
he really thought --- sex and sex-perversions and sex and sex and sex and sex
again.
This was the plain result of his spiritism. All spiritists are more or less similarly
afflicted. They feel dirty even across the street; their auras are ragged, muddy and
malodorous; they ooze the slime of putrefying corpses.
No spiritist, once he is wholly enmeshed in sentimentality and Freudian fearphantasms,
is capable of concentrated thought, of persistent will, or of moral
character. Devoid of every spark of the divine light which was his birthright, a prey
before death to the ghastly tenants of the grave, the wretch, like the mesmerized
and living corpse of Poe's Monsieur Valdemar, is a "nearly liquid mass of
loathsome, of detestable putrescence."
The student of this Holy Magick is most earnestly warned against frequenting
their seances, or even admitting them to his presence.
They are contagious as Syphilis, and more deadly and disgusting. Unless your
aura is strong enough to inhibit any manifestation of the loathly larvae that have
taken up their habitation in them, shun them as you need not mere lepers!<<It
occurs in certain rare cases that a very unusual degree of personal purity combined
with integrity and force of character provides even the ignorant with a certain
natural defence, and attracts into his aura only intelligent and beneficent entities.
Such persons may perhaps practise spiritualism without obvious bad results, and
even with good results, within limits. But such exceptions in no wise invalidate the
general rule, or in any way serve as argument against the magical theory outlined
above with such mild suasion.
I hope that this helps Alison and anyone else that is interested in Crowley's take on seances.
DGM