Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:18:25 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] SV: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] FW: [JFRR] Fairy Tales: A New History (Bottigheimer, Ruth B.)
To: [log in to unmask]

Great comments from Sabina and Jesper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29  for a definition of what i meant by Troll

Not trying to hound you out DGM, just asking a perfectly
pertinent question, its an academic list and you seem to have ignored the
advice on how to engage in academic discussion, and it's really rather dragging on, if not getting worse; which implies that you might be here just to stir up trouble, which is a close approximatiuon of what net trolls do. if i'm wrong re trolling them my apologies, but please also be aware that we're here for a purpose and the list is run on academic duscussion lines, which are eplained in the sign-on instructions and have ben reiterated several times and ignoring requests to behave in particular ways is going to antagonise people and/or simply make them ignore your postings, neither of which is productive for anyone (the rather more personal attacks you had the other day from other people might have indicated that matter to you- such attacks are rare here, and that is a measure of how hard everyone tries to get along, but it has to be a two-way process, with all parties making the effort).

Anyway, onto topic

IMO In *some* cases it *might* help if an academic is also a
practitioner;  but in many cases it is
irrelevant: for example

The linguist unpicking the vagaries of John Dee’s Enochian
language

The neurologist who is investigating shamanic plants (there
was a great piece in New Scientist yesterday about Ayahuasca neurochemistry,
for example)

The archaeologist who is up to their elbows in a Neolithic ‘pagan’
site

The art historian tracing the evolution of Tarot design

The lawyer tracing witch trial practices in the 16th century

Just a few examples

Also ‘academic’ covers a multitude of things. Of the
academics on this list we have over 400 folk, working in at least 15 academic
disciplines (and some in more than one). Some of the academics are
practitioners, some not, but there are finer subdivisions. Just because person
A is an academic doesn’t mean they academically study the area they might practice in.
Drawing on postings here and articles in the JSM, we have had a water biologist
who has written about the god Dagon, a child development expert who studies
mythology … the list goes on

Something that you keep doing here DGM is the ‘fallacious
hideous generalisation’ and I am surprised that the list members aren’t
stamping on you to be honest; which is probably a measure of their patience and
goodwill than anything else.

FHG (for convenience and to save typing) are one thing that
tends to be an indicator of non-academic thought processes; again some examples:

FHG “all witches worship satan”

FHG “all journalists are scum”

FHG “all copyright is the same”

An FHG is often of the form “all X are Y”

You might wish to look at the “sumbunall” model- instead of
absolutist generalisations this works on ‘some but not all X might be Y” and it allows an
escape from black-white reasoning and action, and opens the way to more diverse and penetrating ways of thought and academic processes

And even the apparently true FHGs are contingent on new
findings: “all swans are white” sure, that was the absolute truth for a very
long time, IN EUROPE, until white explorers ‘discovered’ Australia; to the
surprise both of the indigenous people who’d lived there for about 30,000
years, and to the *black swans* who graced various lakes and rivers

While I was typing this I had a lovely example of relative viewpoints. A Magpie landed on a rooftop opposite my window. A folklorist (of which
we have several world leading academics on this list) would be able to tell me
a lot about what that might mean on a cultural/mythic level. An ornitholigst would
be able to tell me lots about the bird, perhaps whether it was male or female,
and based on the behaviour of the bird, what it was up to (it was hopping about
in a seemingly random pattern, presumably eating some bugs, or maybe a territorial
display, I don’t know), a magician might see that as a symbol of Mercury, god
of communications (also a trickster godform) which was lovely timing for writing a long
email. Which of those is true? Search me….

If you write like this when working I do rather worry for
the customers who buy your ‘plagiarism engine’ essays. Do you have any way to
find out what marks they get?

Dave E

help me raise money for endangered tribes http://www.justgiving.com/shaveDaveshead