I recently read Faivre's new book which updates the model in a way that works better.
I also liked Goodrick Clarke's The Western Esoteric Traditions: A Historical Approach

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Esotericism-Esoteric-Traditions-ebook/dp/B0047T7M06
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Esoteric-Traditions-Historical-Introduction/dp/0195320999

and have you read this review by Claire Fanger
of Western Esotericism and the Science of Religion?
http://www.esoteric.msu.edu/VolumeIII/HTML/Fanger.htm