I do at least try to live by the Law of Thelema including the instructions of the Third Chapter and find that this system of ethics is almost always at odds with the western mindset which is very Christian. An academic will be the product of this western mindset and so even comprehending the truths of the Third Chapter may prove impossible. And, if someone was to use the instructions for calling beetles that are in that chapter even as an experiment, perhaps just to see if it works, then is that still an academic investigation? Can an act of devotion be studied from the outside with any hope of genuine comprehension?
Most practicing magicians that I am acquainted with won't even talk about their magick with someone like myself, a fellow magician, so what hope have academic students of magick got of getting a straight answer anyway?

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 12:35:20 +1000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] FW: [JFRR] Fairy Tales: A New History (Bottigheimer, Ruth B.)
To: [log in to unmask]

And also, might we consider the possibility that the system of ethics of a magician might be different to that of an academic researcher?

Would an academic use, say, the Third Chapter of The Book of the Law as a guide to their behavior? Would someone, like, say Jesper Petersen who studies modern Satanism, approve or live by LaVeyean Satanism’s Nine Satanic Statements? (Sorry Jesper, for dragging you in here).

Can magickal practitioners and academics ever see eye to eye? (I know the Church of Satan is very anti-academic scholarship).

The Nine Satanic Statements
from The Satanic Bible, ©1969
by Anton Szandor LaVey
1. Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence!
2. Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams!
3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit!
4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates!
5. Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!
6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires!
7. Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all!
8. Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!
9. Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years!