a ‘shallow subjectivism that yields little more than private experience’

 an ‘interpersonal communion with the object of their study’.

Kripal

Valuable ideas but perhaps they are best appreciated as needing to be qualified by noting the difficulty of arriving at such distinctions between epistemic possibilities.

"a ‘shallow subjectivism that yields little more than private experience’. "

This ideal  is valuable because it suggests the need to develop a subjective depth that can enrich others beyond oneself. Self enquiry as that represented by St Augustine in his Confessions, Descartes in his Meditations and Ramana Maharshi in Paul Brunton's A Search in Secret India, along with some other very good autobiographical writing, is grounded in subjectivity, but a subjectivity that explicitly or implicitly  locates   the universal in the particular. Through the writer's subjective world, we see highlighted qualities that define humanity.

Even if such movement beyond self is not achieved in depth, however, does that mean such subjectivism is shallow?

I dont think so because depth of emotion or of one's inner world might not necessarily imply obvious depth of correlation with other people, although since humans share basic human mental characteristics such correlations are fundamental to establishing the character of the human race.

 "an ‘interpersonal communion with the object of their study’."

The concept of  interpersonal communion with an object of study is valuable beceause it suggests that the scholar might be able to share in the being of what is being studied, be able to enter into a dialogue with it, thereby arriving at greater depth of appreciation of the object.   The ontological status of such communion can be variously interpreted, though.

 I think one  needs to be careful, however, not to translate such an ideal into a priestly dogmatism, eschewing critical responses and interpretive critical  distance in relation to what is being studied.

This caution is vital beceause such an ideal does not provide a transparent path to understanding since it  is necessarily mediated by one's preconceptions and level of knowledge of the object of study.

Is it possible to commune with any object of study without doing so through the lens of one's prejudices and cognitive framework and its attendant limitations? In that light, therefore,  that ideal could be seen as one that necessarily recedes as one approaches it.

Very valuable ideals but urgently in need of qualification.

thanks
toyin