just a quick reply but I'll try to get back to this

Great discussion everybody,

Ana dismisses the relevance of the Da Vinci code, but I think this is exactly what we should be looking at. The Da Vinci Code does not get a pass for being "fiction" because it presents itself as relying on factual history (see the foreword from the author if you haven't read it.) It relies on Holy Blood Holy Grail which also attempts to pass itself off as nonfiction. But in this case there's no alternative gnostic epistemology underlying the claim. The Priory of Sion thing is simply a hoax with plenty of esoteric apologists either pretending it's not a hoax or hoodwinked.
It's perfectly understandable that academics are worried that the Da Vinci Code is a symptom of this problem in popular notions of what academic writing is about.

Now, I'm doing graduate philosophy work on post-Parmenidean traditions and I'm sympathetic to what Peter Kingsley is doing, but I don't think it's correct to oppose what he's doing with academia. He's simply offering reasonable approaches that any academic philosopher should be able to understand. When I hear about how academic philosophers respond to him I am often appalled at their irrational responses. We can compare the current debate over Zeke Mazur's work on the Neoplatonism e-list. What I think is going on isn't an example of academic being epistemologically flawed, but a few conservative professors who should really know better not taking a better academic approach seriously.

Ana brings up the idea of magicians working with a kind of knowledge that academics supposedly can't understand. This is clearly an example of what Caroline is talking about. There is no reason why academics can't understand experiential forms of knowledge. But when practitioners make a historical argument without any basis in historical evidence, what we are not seeing is a problem with incompatible interfaces of historical vs. experiential claims. I have no problem allowing that witchcraft practitioners are tapping into some legitimate, primordial magical power, while still disagreeing with them about the interpretation of the historical evidence. It seems clear to me that Gardner made the whole Wicca thing up, however legitimate the magic being practiced by anybody who uses the word he made up for such practices.

I don't see how academics are somehow incapable of understanding what non-academics do. Academics aren't necessarily always making the kind of judgements that are being assumed by non-academic critics. An academic studying gnostic approaches to knowledge has to take seriously that it is an alternative approach to knowledge, and must always afford it the respect of attempting an objective description. There is no need for an academic to agree (or to disagree) with whatever alternative epistemology we're talking about.

Angela's on the right track referencing the work of Jeffrey Kripal whose work is an awesome resource from both an academic-theoretical and a practitioner-pragmatic point of view.
But I worry about these appeals to terms like "holistic." In the context of a well grounded alternative epistemology, we can raise legitimate problems with the standard ways academic epistomology is practiced. But too often we see folks appealing to "holistic" approaches when they don't really understand the philosophical problems involved, aren't really offering a sophisticated epistemological critique, and in many cases seem to be using "holism" as a smokescreen for intellectual laziness. I don't think we need to justify interest in writers like Kingsley by appealing to anti-academic discourses at all. The problem is that some academics are stuck in scientistic "dogmatic slumbers," not that academic epistemology is rotten from the ground up.

I share Amy's concern about the anti-intellectualism.
I don't see that there is an authentic alternatice epistemology grounding it.
It's interesting (and surely troubling) that very often, when I ask practitioners who disagree with academic interpretations of the evidence what alternative evidence or methodology they are relying on, I rarely get much of a coherent approach. I suspect that in many cases there isn't really a well-grounded set of assumptions behind whatever problem they have with academia.

and Dave is absolutely right that we need a nice clear explanation of what academia is and isn't. What we also need is a point by point list of non-academic problems with academic writing, so we can explain why we think they aren't fair criticisms (when they are!)

best
Ted