What a delicious expression - I love the notion of a rogue scholar. It does seem to sum it up rather better than independent scholar.

But it's not easy to pigeonhole people and neither of those were official styles made available to me when I wanted to access the resources of the Graduate Centre for Medieval Studies at Reading Uni. I got a job there and they decided to call me an Academic Visitor. This was great as the day job put me in proximity with the resources at the beginning and end of my day and at intervals during. They were lovely and I still get invitations to the seminar programmes etc.

Mind you it would be a bit drastic if everyone had spend three years of their lives being Marketing Manager at every academic institution individually just to be able to join a mailing list that yahoo hosts!
http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x162/CharlieFarrow/?action=view&current=Reading0001.jpg

Charlie Farrow