A lot of the people – not all, but a lot – on the Pagan Studies email list are actually Pagan themselves, as well as studying it academically.

~Caroline.

From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anthony H.
Sent: Friday, 16 September 2011 7:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] FW: [Pagan Studies] Feature on what rituals may have sounded like at Stonehenge

I do find it interesting that scholars who study Pagan practices and their history/anthropology would firmly shut the door on those who wish to know more or refine their knowledge about their own practice.

Those on the outside define those on the inside?

Strict criteria based on 'scholarly activity' in this case reeks of a superficiality (judging membership on the status of the user rather than the quality of his/her content) merely lends itself to base elitism and simple snobbery.

There are few enough attempting to validly study and carve out viable programs in all forms of esoterica. Leaving learned and politely interested practitioners as an untapped resource may prove to be academic suicide.

Anthony H.
http://exeter.academia.edu/AnthonyHoltberg