its a small field, but not a new one, and a lot of lines hae already been drawn, for good or ill

"more the merrier" is fine as a sentiment, but only IF that fits the remit; one could equally say "too many cooks" since in the example originally under discussion, the ASE, then scholars who are not in America who somehow got in (perhaps covertly, or by lying) wouldn't be useful or fully engaged, since a lot of the ASE activity is geared to their conferences and events held there, and the Brits would immeidately give themselves away in any case due to our spelling :)

I beleive it is also a subscription society (the ASE as a whole, not the egroup in particualr) so there is an issue that part of members' dues paid might go towards the cost of running the group, perhaps? Thus the members-only approach is justified on financial grounds. This list is housed on JISC, a system which is paid for by the UK education authorities, however we don't have a uk-only membership. Perhaps we should expel all the non-uk residents, to satisfy the taxpayer? (that is only about 1/128th a serious remark btw, sinc ewe'd lost so very many members)

and the criticisms of any element of exclusivity don't really wash IMO, because they are based on (not anyone in particular saying this, but a sentiment of the effect) "they won't le ME in, and that's wrong, because they won't let MEEEEE in "

and yes to what Sabina said- one of the things in place here in this forum is that we have a fairly high noise ratio, there are a lot of things posted that i am sure don't interest many of the list members, since we are avowedly generalist, covering the entire globe, all of history, and a huge number of disciplines, some 400+ members, and no requirement that you have an academic job... this is all by design - the only people who read ALL the threads would be the moderators (i'm one of the co-founders of the orignal list, btw, and we deliberately made it inclusive, which has generally worked, but sometimes not)

would there be as much complaint if (i'm hoping this is a hypothetical example that doesn't exist, am making it up purely for illustration) if there was a requirement that to join a list for the European Society of Anthropologists of Religion, one had to be based in Europe and be an anthropoligst working in religion. Why can't (for example) US-based philosophy postgraduates join? Or Australian Historians? Because a lot of it is not going to be relevant, and the language in use (anthropology technicals) is likely going to be 'foreign' to an unrelated discipline.  While 'more the merrier' is good in some respects, in others it is not, since if every thread is filled with "what does that remark mean?"  "i don't understand, but i think you mean X, and that's is rubbish because i think Y" kinda comments that is the way that flame wars often start - somethign we've had very few of here- people join a list based on what they want from it, and if the list members assume that all members will have a certain subject knowledge, and they don't want to read a lot of anthropology 101 material, then why should that be forced on them?

Lists restricted to scholars who hold university positions are also exclusive, but there may be justified reasons; they might exist mainly to catalyse and foster co-operation between researchers to assist them make collaborative funding bids (a central dayjob requirement for most in the university system) and if those funding bids have the criteria that to qualify you must work for a university, then it's a no-brainer to have people on that list who would never fit the bill, since all they will do will be get in the way. Some location-subject lists might also be largely composed of people touting for new jobs, advertising studentships etc, which if you work in another country and another discipline will just be noise to you

specifically 'postgraduate' lists might not want retired Professors joining them, as the Profs could (conceivably) be the louder voices, and intmidate the newer scholars

in some locations, getting closer to our home subjects, it might be career suicide (or personally actually dangerous) to be an 'outed' practitioner, and the safety of a vetted membership in such instances is essential to allow free-er, safer debate on such things, behind the threshold of an entry requirement, and the list's publicly-viewable page is of course NOT going to say "all our members privately do practice X, and inside this seekrit society we discuss it in private"   this again hypothetical and not meant to indicate any named online forum under discussion here

some practitioner lists are *hugely* exclusive, in any case.....

plenty of other reasons why list memberships may be limited or refined in some way, many of which are not spelt out explicitly; and i hope this ramble has pointed out that

*just because a list is in some way "exclusive" doesn't mean it is in any way better or worse than a list that isn't. it may just have a different function*

as a scholar of esoteric subjects who has sadly *never* worked in a uni job that is remotely directly relevant to my thesis subject (and given the UK government's recent decimation of humanties funding i probalby never will), and being currently out of a job,  i am therefore not elegible to join lists which might have a related-employment criterion. I don't think i'm so great that any list i want to join should waive their rules (for example an employment rule, or where i live)  in order to let me in

That's part of the reason we started this list, but in the overt knowledge that here is generalist, and that some folk don't want a general list, as signal-to-noise ration is often high- including this thread, which i am sure a lot of folk are skipping by now.

Debating the entry requirements of another list on this list is also a tad behind-the-back gossipy, and it should say a lot that in the original example, the list mod of the 'limited/criteria' group is also a longtime member of this open and pretty much unlimited group.

You don't have to be in just one.....

Dave E