At the school where I work, students are routinely caught plagiarizing and
graded down or failed for it.
If a student's writing is bad enough that they would need to resort to a
ghostwriter, it's usually pretty
easy to tell that they cheated. Simply asking them a few questions about the
paper is often enough
to expose the shenanigans. What the prevalence of these plagiarist
ideologies seems to indicate to
me is that too many professors are far too lazy about grading papers, if so
many kids get away with it.

Dave brings up an interesting point. I shudder to think, given how much
writing I have out there that
comes up in a Google search, of students trying to pass my stuff off as
acceptable academic prose.
But I don't think the ethics should necessarily be different when publishing
or discussing online, not
for the legitimate content producer. The sin is the cheater's and doesn't
belong to those stolen from.