Thanks, Doug.  In this case, it's what I saw because I was encountering the Kyrgyz language for the first time and had to mine the subtitles.  The director wrote the screenplay with a collaborator, so I am catching voices which he created.  Since Kyrgyzstan officially selected this film for competition within the Academy Award, one could assume that one of the best translators subtitled it, but I still found myself editing the lines netted by the acrostic somewhat severely.

I decided to see this particular film in part because I found myself merely 1.5 miles away from where it was to be shown (the Freer Gallery of Art) after witnessing a talk by Ann Hamilton at the National Gallery of Art.  I took a much more casual approach towards writing within the film screening than I did for the writing I did while Ann Hamilton was talking.  Revising the original draft of LIGHT THIEF became a warm-up for the more demanding work required by my two simultaneous drafts of SAY, ANN HAMILTON.

Perhaps you've seen Alden Nowlan's A SENSE OF POETRY (1975, 18 minutes) which I have a chance to catch at the NGA tomorrow while I'm already in the immediate area for the National Book Festival?

Barry