Indeed the pragmatic solution is the only reasonable/easy way forward.

The RFC and GFD documents do not however forbid emailAddress in a subject name
-- but -- GFD.125 is going through a conversion process from informational
document to recommendation.  I've just suggested that they might want to
strengthen the non-use of emailAddress recommendation.

BTW, I think the problem is worse than not having a standard way to stringify
a DN but the detail is probably too long for this list.

Mike