Over the past couple of months we've put some effort into adding Python
interfaces to the NDF, HDS and AST libraries. If you are interested you can
find repositories at github:

  https://github.com/timj/starlink-pyast
  https://github.com/timj/starlink-pyndf

These are works in progress but might be useful to people. Note that the API
for the raw NDF/HDS access layer (as opposed to the "slurp it all into a
numpy array") still needs tweaking a bit since I want to turn some method
calls into attribute accessors. The AST interface has a fairly complete
interface to Frames and Mappings but still needs to get Channels and Plot
support.

The NDF interface originally came from Tom Marsh. David Berry wrote the
initial AST wrapper which I've augmented a bit.

--
Tim Jenness
Joint Astronomy Centre