Take a look at my VOI tool posts. Here is the critical part:

peak_extract_nii (dependent on peak_nii): extracts peaks, mean and eigenvariate of spheres around peaks, means around subject peaks, mean and eigenvariate of clusters. The outputs are clearly labelled by peak number or cluster number. The outputs can then be used to plot against other predictor variables.
Usage:
[resultsvoxels columnlistvoxels resultscluster columnlistcluster clusters]=peak_extract_nii(subjectparameters,mapparameters)
OR
[resultsvoxels columnlistvoxels resultscluster columnlistcluster clusters]=peak_extract_nii([],mapparameters)

**mapparameters.voxel and mapparameter.beta are also possible fields. The latter plots beta estimates rather than the raw subject values.

**Output is in cells and then matrices. (e.g. resultsvoxels{2}(:,1) would give you the average signal in a 6mm sphere @ 18 -34 -35). columnlistvoxels{2}(1) gives average  6mm sphere @ 18 -34 -35. {3} is eigenvariate for voxels.

The files are available at: www.martinos.org/~mclaren/ftp/Utilities_DGM

If you extract the mean of the ROI you want for each timepoint, then you can compute the mean and standard deviation over time.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School
Office: (773) 406-2464