Hi all,

In case it is helpful, I got Java to work for Mac OS X Lion (10.7.1) and Matlab 7.6 2008a by following the instructions to install Java 1.5 using Pacificist (even though Pacificist claims not to support Lion yet), and then deleting Java 6 following these instructions (found here: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/joshy/archive/2007/11/how_to_remove_j.html)

rm ~/Library/Caches/Java/deployment.properties
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0
sudo rm /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6
If you have a folder named 'Java SE 6' in /Applications/Utilities/Java, delete that too (I didn't have this folder).

I had tried just changing the default version of Java, both in Java Preferences and by setting the JAVA_JVM_VERSION environment variable but for some reason "version -java" in matlab was still telling me I was using 1.6, and figures were still crashing matlab. Hopefully I don't need Java 1.6 for anything sometime soon!

I didn't want to use -nojvm because I also use EEGLAB and the gui is pretty useless without java.

Erin