Hello -- this is poached (as a means also of advertising)  from a finished and soon-forthcoming essay in SidJ by Karen Holland on the Sidney women in Ireland.  It describes a service in the Protestant Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin.  Anne Fitzwiilliam is the wife of the lord deputy.   It describes a spat over primacy of seating, but included is some discussion of where the "ladies" sit in church, esp. chapels.

It is difficult to figure out what is going on regarding the issue of sex separation:  is this a group of ladies who enjoy sitting together?  Wives of prominent officials (and/or those who are not wives of prominent officials) who are expected to sit together?   Or division of sexes by church decree?  Or none of the above?  Sincerely, --Tom

'In November 1589, Anne Fitzwilliam’s regular attendance at services seated in her customary pew was disrupted by a noteworthy affront from Lady Bourchier, wife of Sir George Bourchier, Kt.   As Lord Deputy Fitzwilliam related in a letter to Burghley, “last Sunday my wife coming to church to hear the sermon went to the chapel where she and other ladies sit.  The Lady Bourchier was there before her coming and in the place where my wife usually sitteth.”  Rather than call additional attention to this indignity Anne was made to “go to the other side and sit with the rest of the ladies.”  This usurped seating was significant as church pews were allocated in strict adherence to social ordering with governing families prominently seated in the front.'   ['From Lord Deputy Fitzwilliam to Burghley, 14 November 1589, TNA SP 63/148/10.']
From: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Roger Kuin [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:35 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Sidney-Spenser: Were the sexes separated during church services in the pre-Reformation English church?

This article on French Protestant churches of the 16C and 17C claims that the upstairs galleries, when extant, were reserved for the men. I can't quite make out the illustration of the Charenton chuirch's interior, but it does look as if the men are upstairs and the women downstairs.

http://chretienssocietes.revues.org/index2736.html

Roger