Dear Alastair

Many thanks. The issue is clearly still open. Let's wait to see if any Old
India Hands surface with thoughts on the matter.

Kipling did, after all, say:

How runs the old indictment? “Dear and slow,”
So much and twice so much. We gird, but go.
For all the soul of our sad East is there,
Beneath the house-flag of the P. & O.

He muxt have assumed that this would strike a chord with Anglo-Indian
readers . whether or not he invented ther expression. And as John McG has
pointed out in his notes, the fares were very expensive.

The case rests for the time being !

AGW

John R